Sunday, January 22, 2012

CHINA - LEAVING TORONTO

For those who follow mt blog and might be wondering where I have been the last few weeks, well I have been in China and China does not allow access to blogs. This is not entirely true because I do receive hits from China but I could not connect while I was in China.

I left Toronto on January 7th. At the airport, Terminal 1, I had my usual breakfast at the same Cuban restaurant that I usually eat at. Beside the restaurant there is a giant metal sculpture which has been there for as long as I can remember. It was only on the trip that I realized who the artist was for the first time; Richard Serra. I felt embarrassed that I did not realize that these giant free standing steel plates where the work of Richard Serra but then I have really been interested in contemporary sculpture until this past year. So this was a big discovery for me. I had to find out more about this sculpture.



what I found out was that the sculpture was purchased for the expansion of Terminal 1. The sculpture. Tilted Spheres, is so big that it had to be installed before the walls and roof were completed. It sat, covered with plastic sheets, exposed to the elements until the terminal was completed. Now, it sits near the departure gates so it is one of the last things that you would see before you board your plane. I also realized when I returned from my trip to china that it is one of the first things that you see before you go through Canada Customs.



I guess that time that I spent reading about and studying modern and contemporary art last year paid off. I can now recognize a Richard Serra sculpture!



More about my trip to China in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment