Tuesday, August 30, 2011

ABSTRACT EXPRESSIONIST EXHIBIT AT THE ART GALLERY OF ONTARIO(AGO)

 Franz Kline  White Forms


Yesterday, on August 28th, I went to the Art Gallery of Ontario to visit the exhibition of Abstract Expressionists that is showing until September 4th. I wanted to make sure that I went to the AGO before the show was over. It was a rare opportunity to see some of the most important proponents of the Abstract Expressionist movement that was centered in New York city from the 1940's to the 1960's.

One of Franz Kline's  White Forms paintings is shown above. I spent a fair amount of time looking at this painting. This is not just a black and white painting. There is a lot of complexity in the colors and the forms. The white is not just white, there are subtle gradations and colorings or white and black. Overall, his paintings give me the impression of Chinese calligraphy, aggressive black lines on a white background.