Monday, January 26, 2015

Caribbean Cruise - Day Five - The Banana Cost - Honduras - Trujillo

Today, we are going to the Trujillo in Honduras Trujillo , it is also known as the Banana Coast, I am not sure why. Again, we are going to be tendered to shore in small boats from the Norwegian Jewel.

It is a beautiful morning and we are looking forward to going to a place that has not yet been ruined by tourism. As we move towards the shore, Trujillo looks lovely.

It was only a short ride to shore, about ten minutes. we landed about 9:00AM. There were local singers and dancers performing at the terminal when we landed.

There were souvenirs near the terminal but it was disappointing that it was more of the same stuff that we had seen the day before and the day before that. We had a vision of all these souvenirs being churned out in a factory in China then shipped to all of these sights to be bought up by tourists, and there were people buying them.

Trujillo is a new place for cruise boats to stop, you can see that it has not been developed. The historical area of Trujillo is not very interesting and they want you to pay $3US to look at the ruins of an old fortress. It was hardly worth $3US, I took a few pictures from a distance instead.

We walked around the town for about an hour, going into some of the local stores to see what they had to offer. We found the local hospital which was interesting.

There was a church near the town square so we went in to take a look. The church itself was not all that interesting but my wife took the time to light a candle.

For the rest of our stay in Trujillo we spent our time walking along the beach which we found to be quite satisfying. The feel of the sand on our feet, the sound of the waves, the feel of the water as it caressed our feet was all satisfying and relaxing.

as we approached 11:00 AM we returned to the terminal. We bought some rum and a local liquor, that I was told, is like vodka. I guess we could use it for making crisp pastry.

When we got back on the boat to take us back to the ship it was starting rain and the waves were quite active. The ten minutes that it took to get back to the ship were quite interesting. My wife found the ten minutes nerve racking but it was pretty entertaining for me. The little boat was tossed about on the waves, going up and down with each succeeding wave. I think everyone was thankful to get back on the Norwegian Jewel.

There was a lot more than happened that day but I am going to stop the post here. I will continue the rest of the day in part two of day five.

No comments:

Post a Comment