Wednesday, February 15, 2012

CHINESE NEW YEAR IN HONG KONG

I spent a day in Hong Kong before I returned to Canada before Chinese New Years. I stayed at a hotel on Nathan Road which is one of the main streets in Kowloon and a major shopping area. After breakfast I headed out along Nathan Road. I walked all the way to the harbor and back. I took as many pictures as I could, almost all on the theme of Chinese New Year. I wanted to take as many different pictures of Chinese New Year decorations as I could.

Chinese firecrackers




It;s the year of the dragon!


Chinese New Year tree in the lobby of the posh Peninsula Hotel.

Year of the dragon advertisement for Sogo, a Japanese department store.

The Hong Kong Museum of Art

This is where the Chinese new Year celebration would have been held. Their version of Times Square.

The fireworks would have been in a barge behind the stage in Victoria Harbor



I couldn't resist taking a picture of this dragon. It must have been at least 150 feet tall.

 There were some original 


and artistic displays in shop windows.


I had to take a picture of these wedding rings that featured a phoenix and dragon design with the character for double happiness in the middle, very traditional Chinese.



these giant bronze hands would be worthy of Rodin. they were sitting in front of the martial arts center where,



I took a picture of this awesome looking dragon.


This little golden dragon I saw on display in the window of a jewelery shop. It was barely six inches long. The detail is exquisite.


 The is was back to the hotel for a quick lunch before I was off to the airport for the flight home.


As the sign above said, "Kung Hei Fat Choy", May you explode with prosperity.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment