Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Baby Cradle Update #6 (Final update!)

As I said in my last post about the baby cradle I was handing the cradle over to my wife for painting and finishing. Unfortunately, I do not have pictures of the intermediate stages. We were busy getting ready for our vacation the first part of May. I am writing a series of posts on our vacation in Europe, WHAT WE DID ON OUR VACATION: AMSTERDAM.

At any rate, the cradle is in position in the nursery in my daughter's home. This passed weekend my wife and I visited our daughter and I took a few pictures of the cradle. I must say that it looks like it belongs in the nursery. My wife did an outstanding job in painting the cradle and creating the bedding and padding around the cradle.

 It took several coats of paint to make sure that there is adequate coverage. The first coat was a primer coat. after the primer had completely dried my wife gave the cradle two good coats of a good quality oil based paint. She used an oil based paint after discussing it with the paint provider. she was advised that the oil based paint would provided the best coverage, have the best looking finish and it would be the most durable paint.
 The only problem with an oil based paint is the odor after the paint is applied. That is one of the reasons that we wanted to complete the cradle as quickly as possible. If the paint has time to dry and cure thoroughly, the odor will completely disappear. When I took these pictures this passed Sunday, there was no evidence of paint odor in the room. When the baby arrives in a few weeks there will be no issue with paint odor on the cradle.
Now that the cradle is done I have focused my attention on completing the change table and the crib!

No comments:

Post a Comment