Thursday, March 8, 2012

THE MERMAID

Well, here she is, The Mermaid, mounted on her stand. I chose this piece of wood to be the stand because it gives the appearance that she is rising up out of the ocean on a crest of a wave.











I glued her to a post and tried to make it as inconspicuous as possible. I wanted to create the illusion of floating. When I look at The Mermaid from a distance she reminds me of the first time that I saw the statue of Nike in the Louvre. When you stand at the bottom of the steps and look up you see this magnificent ethereal statue of Nike hovering at the top of the stairs.

 In the following pictures you can see the shell that The Mermaid is cradling against her chest. It would appear that she is protecting it.












I am happy with the way The Mermaid has turned out. Unlike the Siren who has a raw, overpowering sensuality, The Mermaid has a more ethereal quality that us just as alluring. She will be just as effective in luring sailors to crash onto the rocky shores that they inhabit.

No comments:

Post a Comment