Saturday, April 2, 2011

Impressions of Nanning, Guangxi, China

Nanning is a city located in Guangxi China. Nanning. I refer to it as the wild west of China. It is about as far west and as far south as you can go and still be in China. I have been told that it you get on a bus in Nanning you could be in Saigon, Vietnam inside of forty five minutes. This gives you an approximate idea of where Nanning is located.

I go to Nanning (via Hong Kong) at least once a year, sometimes more. There is a company in Nanning with which I have business ties. I am obliged to visit and meet with them periodically. some people might see this as a hardship, others might see it as a fascinating adventure.

During my recent trip to Nanning in March I was invited to dinner at the Gui Jing hotel which was not far from where I was staying. In fact, I have stayed at the Gui Jing hotel, Guijing hotel, during past trips to Nanning. During  the meal i could not help admiring the painting on the wall of the private room where we were eating. I was a picture portraying an entourage on horse back. I love horses and any art portraying horses draws my attention. at the end of the meal I went to study the painting more closely. On closer inspection I realized that it was actually composed of several wooden panels. the figures were carved in relief and then painted. It is one of the finest carved panels that I have ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment